...By Karli Taylor
As if there weren’t enough etiquette rules to remember during your workout, believe it or not, there are even more that apply to locker room behavior! The basic premise behind all of the following rules is this: the locker room is not your own private bathroom!
- Don't take a long, luxurious shower if people are waiting. Try to limit your shower to 5 minutes during peak morning hours as many people are in a rush to get to work.
- Make sure that you remove all your shower supplies- even empty containers.
- Don’t forget to reach down and clean your hair from the drain- think about how you would feel if you stepped in to see someone else’s locks!
- Don't hog the mirror or the power outlets. Keep your toiletries confined to a small area and plug in only long enough to get the job done.
- Wipe off the counter and the area around the sink when you are done- don’t leave hair, soap scum or make-up residue for someone else to deal with.
- Don't take up three lockers worth of space and spread your clothing over the entire bench.
- Don't leave your belongings in lockers overnight unless you have permission from your gym to do so. Most gyms empty out lockers at the end of every day and won't guarantee the safe return of your personal items.
- Wear a towel. Though you may be comfortable with your body, others may be uncomfortable with having to look at it.